Monday 8 February 2016

The February 2016 Birchbox

I mentioned the fact that I subscribe to Birchbox in a post way back when I started my subscription, and I haven't mentioned them since because on the whole, the quality of the boxes had gotten a bit poor. I was actually considering cancelling my subscription after the disappointment that was my January 2016 box but this month they've really turned it around and it's a box worth trying to get your hands on.


So the theme of the Feb 16 box was "Shine Bright Like A Diamond" and the box itself is super cute with the white and pastel colours and the metallic writing. Like all of the Birchbox offerings, it give you 5 sample products and one "Beauty Bonus" in your little Birchbox drawstring bag.

When I was considering cancelling after the January box, I got an email advertising that the Feb box would include a full size of one of the new LOC Love of Colour One And Done Shadow Sticks and that's what made me hold out for the Feb box. Tati from "Glam Life Guru" on YouTube had been involved with Birchbox LOC Launch in the states and I just had a feeling they'd be great. They let you pick from the two shades available so I picked "Champagne Problems" and it's a beautiful shimmery silvery taupe that's easy to apply and beautiful on the lids.

This month also brought a sample of the Frat Boy Blush from The Balm which seems to have a bit of a cult following these days. It's a beautiful peachy pink blush that's pigmented and has the amazing staying power that I've come to expect from The Balms products. My one gripe with this product is the sample size it such a tiny square that it can be a bit fiddly getting an even layer on your blush brush.

I'm a cleanser addict so the addition of the Korres Milk Proteins 3-in-1 Cleansing Emulsion was nice for me. The sample size is perfect for short trips of traveling and the texture of the cleanser is lovely and creamy on the skin and it's not stripping at all. It's not a cleanser I'd se for makeup removal but for a morning cleanse it seems nice. It's lightly scented and while I' not a fan of the scent, it's not overwhelmingly awful.

The box also includes a full sized Spectrum Collections Tapered Powder Brush. I personally hadn't heard of the brand before but my sister uses some of these brushes and loves them. The coloured handles and bristles are fun but it's a good quality, sturdy brush and the bristles are nice and soft. The shape is also perfect for contouring products, it's like a slightly denser version of the Charlotte Tilbury Powder and Sculpt Brush.

This months beauty bonus was a single use of the Derm Eyes Makeup Remover Wipes. These claim to be for sensitive eyes and delicate eyelids and they're safe for contact lens users. I must admit, with them being a single use I haven't tried them yet as they seem ideal for an overnight trip so I'm saving them but they do seem interesting and if they work I will definitely have to report back.

And finally, the one thing I wasn't so excited about, but these days is it really a birchbox if it doesn't contain some sort of body cream? I'm sure the Ayres Body Butter in "Patagonia" is lovely, the scent seems pleasant, but seriously Birchbox, enough body creams.

But all in all, a solid box. If by some stroke of luck Birchbox are reading this: More boxes like this one in future please!

No comments:

Post a Comment