Monday 15 February 2016

The Perfect Smokey Eye With Tom Ford

I've mentioned owning the Tom Ford Eye Shadow Quad in "Sahara Haze" before on the blog but I wanted to give it a good testing before I did a full post on it. I was going to pick up a few of the palettes and do a review on the line as a whole but I figured that really, the palettes are so different that stand alone reviews made sense. So this is on the "Sahara Haze" colour collections but if you're wanting to hear about the others, I'm up for doing those posts for you too.


So I guess the first thing we need to address with this product is the price. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's only four shades. Yes, it's a little bit outrageous, but it's Tom Ford. While I do think his products are pricey, lets not forget that there's some other fashion designers that have released cosmetics recently that are also earth-shatteringly expensive (I'm looking at you Mr Louboutin). Aside from the ingredient and the 10g of product, you're paying for the name and the packaging with a product like this.

I think the packaging is nicely done, it feels really luxe with the little velvet pouch (that yes, I do keep) and the mirrored brown and gold palette casing is nicely weighted and feels sturdy and substantial. When you open the palette, inside the lid there's a really nicely sized mirror and a small well that contains two mini applicators.

The applicators included are usable if a little cheaply done - two double ended applicators, both have one end that is a standard sponge tip and then the others ends are a tapered sponge tip on one and a thin tapered brush which is actually quite soft. Your eyeshadow will look fine if you use these but for the price it would have been nice to see some actual brushes included. Although I should mention that the sponge used on the sponge tips is softer than the ones you'd fine in an NYC quad, so they are "high-end" sponge tips, if those exist.

The eyeshadow pans are nice and big so you'll have no trouble dipping whatever brush you want into them and in the "Sahara Haze" collection, it's a variety of smokey looking shades. The lightest shade is a creamy off-white with yellow-gold undertones and for me it's like a satin with a bit more glow to it, very pretty everyday shade. The next shade working clockwise is a medium cool grey, standard satin finish and possibly a little on the sheer side - for me this is the weakest shade in the palette. The darkest shade comes off black but definitely has a hint of greenish tones in there and is laced with super-fine gold glitter. And then the final shade is one of the much-hyped "Glitter Top Coat" shades, in a swatch it comes off as a very light green with lots of gold glitter but when applied to the eyes it gives a similar effect as a super-fine micro-glitter pigment would.

All in all, the shades are all really pretty and work perfectly together to create a really glam smokey eye for an evening out. They're also all really unique, even the light creamy colour is unlike anything else in my collection. My main disappointment is that despite there being four shades to play with, I feel like there's only really one look I can achieve with it because of the colour selection. If the grey had been swapped out for a more brown-ish medium shade then you'd have had a day time look with the lightest and medium shades and you could work in the deeper colour and the glitter for an evening look but the grey confines it to a lid shade for me.

For quality the shadows are soft and creamy and they are really easy to apply and blend on the eyes. I feel like when I've done my eyeshadow using these products everything on the eyes looks nice and seamlessly glam. I will mention that because the shades are so creamy they can fall down a little when you're applying so you might want to be careful in that respect but they are really nice shadows that I do really enjoy using. I just think this colour selection is a little limiting in terms of the looks you can achieve with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment