Monday 21 September 2015

Supermarket Skincare - The Skin System For ASDA

Last time I did one of these "Super Market Skincare" posts, I found a couple of nice products that I'm still using and enjoying to this day that were super affordable. With that in mind I figured it would be a good idea to bring it back and scour a different supermarket for another exclusive, affordable brand and let you know how it fairs, and today we're looking at The Skin System range from Asda.




The Skin System range is quite bitty in terms of product selection, there were a couple of products for a dryer skin type but only the oily skin type range offered a serum or moisturiser so I gave that sub-range a try. The products in the range are super affordable at £1-£2 a product and you get a good amount of product in there too. I also think the packaging for the range is nice with a colour coding system, green for their "Tea Tree" range, pink for the more nourishing range and they also have products packaged in blue which seem to be radiance enhancing.

Naturally, the first product I picked up was a cleanser and the one I chose was the 3 in 1 Mask, Scrub and Cleanser, the range did offer a foaming cleanser but it contained SLS so I promptly put it back on the shelf and went for something else. The 3-in-1 cleanser contains glycerin as a main ingredient and also has salicylic acid in which are both ingredients that my skin get on with and the 3-in-1 claim intrigued me. The product also has a light minty fragrance which isn't overpowering during use.

If you're intending to use this as a cleanser, I'd apply it to a slightly damp face as it's a bit too thick in consistency to work into a dry face and this would be your exfoliation step as well. I mainly use this as a second/morning cleanse because the scrubby particles make it no good for removing makeup. To use as a mask I'd use it exactly the same way but leave it to set before removing, it will dry down on the face like a clay mask. I think this cleanser would be best to maintain blemish free skin rather than get rid of spots you already have, the scrubby particles will just spread the bacteria in any current spots around your face and potentially make the acne worse. That being said, as a relatively spot-free person, I've enjoyed using this product and will continue to use it.

The second product I tried was the Overnight Blemish Serum. Again the product contains salicylic acid but a notable mention on this one is that the alcohol content is high, it's got the nice light minty fragrance that the 3-in-1 cleanser had, but you can smell the alcohol content coming through. The product is cooling on the skin but does leave a sticky sensation on the skin which doesn't completely disappear even after applying a nourishing oil over the top.

Also, the packaging on this product recommends that you "Apply a thin layer cleansed face or affected areas, avoiding delicate eye area", which is not something I'd do. Due to the high alcohol content, even when used under and oil and a moisturiser overnight it left my skin so dehydrated that my skin would drink up the moisture in my foundation the next day. If you are going to us this product, I'd recommend targeting your application to blemishes.

Finally, I tried the Light Mattifying Moisturiser. The glycerin and salicylic acid in this product are a little further down the ingredients list and I found this the most difficult to give a fair review of. The light mint fragrance is nice and the moisturiser has a lovely cooling sensation on application but for me the hydration levels weren't enough. I think the product would be great for it's targeted oily-skinned users but even those with combination skin will more than likely find this to not be quite enough for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment