Tuesday 24 May 2016

Slimming World Survival: My Top Five Free Foods For When I’m Craving Something Syn-tastic

I think we've all had one of those moments where, we know we're trying to eat well, but we just need something that at least tastes bad for you. When I'm in the mood for comfort food but I don't want to digging into my syn-stash, I usually rustle up one of the following, at a whopping 0 syns per serving:

1. (Spiced Up) Slimming World Chips. So the Slimming World Chips recipe is an oldie but a goodie. At first I was making them exactly the way their recipe states, but I found them a little... Bland? They made a reasonable side-dish to whatever meal you're having but they definitely didn't fill the void left by proper deep-fat-fryer home made chips. So I spiced them up a little bit. After I've boiled my potatoes and let them dry off a little, I sprinkle them with Nando's Peri Peri Salt (although I'm sure other spices would work fine). I also use the Garlic Infused Fry Light instead of plain as it adds a little something extra to the chips. Yum.

2. I definitely wasn't the worst for drinking fizzy drinks, but every now and then I just have a real craving for something sweet and fizzy. When the sugar craving hits I mix a little bit of no-added-sugar cordial (I like the Apple and Blackcurrant from Robinson's) with diet lemonade. Sweet, fruity, fizzy... and best of all, not a single syn in sight.

3. My biggest food vice is probably toast. For me, there is nothing you can eat that is more comforting than a piece of white or seeded bread, lightly toasted and coated in butter (just thinking about it is making me hungry). But alas, a single piece of white toast with butter is around 7-ish syns. So to fill the void I've been using my healthy extra's to rustle up cheese on toast, I take 28g of Cheddar Cheese (or the amount allowed of your preferred cheese from your Healthy A list) and 2 slices of wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf from Healthy B.

4. Mark's and Spencers "Just Add" range. Now not all of these are free, but my favourite pick from this range by far is the "Mexican Chicken" and it's on the list of syn-free options. It's great for an on-the-go snack or a light lunch. This is what's in my bag for lunch when I'm on late finishes at work since it's tasty and totally satisfying but it's syn free and also good for SP days. I try to avoid carbs on my late finishes and this is the thing that totally saves the day for me.

5. Steak, Bacon and Gammon. These three meats all come under the same heading for me: something I can have at home or away that always tastes like a proper treat. If you're making sure that the cuts you're going for are lean and that you're not frying them in fat then they're all deliciously slimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment