Wednesday 20 January 2016

A Re-Introduction: Happy Birthday Blog!

I'm pretty big on reflection and I think celebrating milestones and achievements is really important when it comes to self improvement. With that in mind I'm dedicating this post to my blogs first birthday.

My first ever post was "A Short Introduction". I wasn't really sure how to kick off this whole beauty blogging thing and I figured an introduction to who I am and why I'm doing this was probably a good place to start. My first full week of blog posts was dedicated to my top favourites - but after a year, which makeup products are still on my must have list?


Both the foundation and concealer I included in my original line up have been switched out. My go-to foundations at the moment are the L'Oreal True Match and the L'Oreal Infallible, I've been finding the colourstay a little heavy lately and I've hear that it's been reformulated so I've been trying out other things. I've been using a combination of the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer and the Clarins Instant Light Brush on Perfector for concealer. I still really like the Nars but the shade range doesn't go quite as light as the other too.

I think we all know that I'm still using and loving the Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot Powder and the Soap & Glory Solar Powder is still in my regular line up as well. I'm using it more as a contouring shade lately but I still like to take a big fluffy brush and bronze up my hairline with this too.

While I still like Urban Decay Primer Potion, it's not something I run out and repurchase straight away anymore. I've tried the Too Faced Shadow Insurance and that's equally nice, and Rimmel also do a decent one if you're not needing super long staying power. The Urban Decay Naked Palette is still something I use but I've been mixing it up a lot more with my eyeshadow palettes. Maybelline's The Nudes Palette is a great neutral pick and I've been getting a lot of use out of the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Palette since I picked that up too.

I've had great luck with brows this year, from the Maybelline Brow Satin to the Soap & Glory Archery Pencil. I've given up on filling in with eyeshadow as it gives a less defined finish. For eyeliners I generally reach for either the Rimmel Scandaleyes ones or the Maybelline Master Drama. For mascara I've been using the MaxFactor 2000 Calorie Curved Brush Mascara, it's not quite as voluminous as the Urban Decay combination but it's quicker and guaranteed to get a super black lash every time.

For lips, my collection has been growing and growing this year and it's something I'm always changing up. Interestingly, the lip products I've picked out my most used over the year follow the same kind of colour/texture combination as last years (I'm clearly a creature of habit) but not one of these is a repeat.

The Nars Soft Matte Lip Pencil in shade "Iberico" was a bright, matte orange-y red but in the last year I decided that it was maybe a little too orange for an everyday wearable pick and I've been reaching for the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in the shade "Hot Pepper" a lot more. Still a matte orangey red and still a bright shade but this is more red than orange.

I have a new glossy, medium pink pick this year: the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in "404 - Cherries in the Snow". This is one of those iconic shades in the Revlon line and swatched next to last years pick the Estée Lauder Colour Envy Lipstick in "Tumultuous Pink" the Revlon pick is just a tiny bit deeper in tone.

My absolute favourite nude shade has been the Rimmel The One Lipstick in "700 Naughty Nude". Admittedly, this was something I picked up a little later in the last year but I've worn it at least once a week since I bought it and despite easy having a 50+ strong collection of lip products, this is one that I would instantly repurchase if I lost/finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment