Wednesday 18 February 2015

The Mother of All Goodie Bags


So I thought I'd introduce you to the mother of all goodie bags. I was one of the lucky souls that managed to bag a ticket to Anna and Lily's Beauty Chat Live at the Manchester Space NK. The girls were lovely (and much more photogenic than I - see photo opposite for proof) and the Q&A session was really nice, but the goodie bag just sealed the deal. The £15 entry fee was redeemable against any purchases made on the night and on top of that everyone who made a £50 purchase (and lets face it, in Space NK, that's a very easy ask) received a Space NK tote-bag that when emptied, created the picture seen above. So with my haul from Monday in mind, I left with a big black bag full of goodies. From what I can tell the bag contained 25 products (3 full sized and 22 minis) as well as one of the full sized Tangle Teezer brushes, and while it ranged from make-up and skincare to hair and body products, it was rather heavy on the skincare (which I personally enjoyed). While in the week since the event I haven't quite had time to test out everything included, I have managed to test out a few and so I thought it would be a nice way to throw in a few first-impressions and mini reviews.


Now I hate to be a Negative Nancy, especially when things are free, but so we can end on a high note I thought I'd get the dud's out of the way. My biggest disappointment of the bag was that two of the full sized products were things I didn't see myself using all that much if at all. I've since passed the He-Shi Face & Body Tanning Gel on to my mother, I'm really not a tan-lover (case in point above), I'm just that awkward shade of pale that makes tanning products difficult, so the "medium" shade tanner definitely didn't float my boat. The Color Wow One-Minute Transformation Styling Cream also seemed like something I wouldn't use much. That being said I think an apology is necessary since I gave it a try and it's lovely. I think I may even be a hair product convert since I use this at least every time I wash my hair. I use a tiny dot of the creamy product and work it into the ends of blow-dried hair to achieve that "lived-in" look to the hair.


My only other quibble was that the Laura Mercier Eye Basics looked like something that I'd love, a liquid-y eyeshadow base that neutralises your skin tone and prolongs your eye-shadow wear time? All over it. But again the shade ("Tawny") was just so off for me. I have used it a few times and the formula is nice, a light, almost whipped texture that is easily applied using the doe foot applicator, the shade isn't too dark but it definitely leaves an orange-y tone to my lids (although under a cool toned shadow this can actually look lovely). Overall a nice product but if I was to repurchase I'd definitely pick up a lighter shade.


After trying the Sunday Riley Start Over Active Eye Cream I've found that the applicator on the sample is lovely, but the formula isn't my favourite. I like a good moisturising/nourishing eye cream as my early 20's skin just wants something preventative under the eyes, however I think for a more mature skin it might show results. Annoyingly, the applicator that I love so much doesn't actually seem to be present on the full size, but after a quick browse I've find a few alternatives that do like the First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy and the new Benefit Puff Off Eye Cream so I might try one of those next time.


The bag contained a lot of face masks but the one I was most excited about trying was the Oskia Renaissance Mask and it really lived up to my expectations. It doesn't tingle or sting but it leaves the skin incredibly soft and smooth (and the smell, need I say more?). Will definitely be repurchasing. Keeping with the rose-scented theme I have also really been enjoying the Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist, while it is a bit of a princess product I find it hydrating and calming on the skin and it has quickly become a staple in my skincare routine.


I found two oils in the bag and being a lover of facial oils I hopped straight into trying both. The NUDE  ProGenius Treatment Oil was nice on the skin, it sank in quickly and made my face feel lovely and silky smooth the morning after use, but the smell is a bit herbal for me. With the NUDE being a bit on the smelly side I can say that I much prefer the Caudalie Premier Cru L'Elixir which was also in the bag, sinks in just as quickly and feels amazing. It's an serum and oil in one product and so it really looks after your skin. In fact I think it may even make it into my weekly rotation. Now I still love my Sarah Chapman Morning Facial and my MV Organics Rose Plus Booster but this is really good stuff too. It definitely wont replace any of the oils in my collection but it has definitely earned a place along side some of my other favourites in my current skincare stash.



I have also been using the sample size of the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser and it's been working really nicely for me. I have a lot of skincare categories where I have products that I love and can't be without, but I've never really found a moisturiser (day or night) that wows me. At £24 for 125ml or just £34 for the big 250ml bottle it's a super affordable, does the job day cream that I can see myself trying a bigger size of when i've finished the mini. Athough I would say I'm still in the market for a "Holy-Grail" moisturiser to add to my collection.


With all that being said for the other products, the star of the show has to be the Mio Workout Wonder. I started an intense workout class a couple of weeks ago and after my first class I was sore. On week  two I was still aching from the first class, so when I got home I slapped some of this on after my post-gym shower and I'm convinced that it may even be magic. It feels cold and slightly tingly on the skin (think walking in the wind and rain - that cold tingly feeling) which wasn't the nicest feeling ever but the results were amazing. I woke up feeling fine the next day and didn't suffer an ache all week. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment