Wednesday 9 September 2015

Brand Binge - Maybelline

I've seen a couple of vloggers do videos where they focus on one makeup brand, do a full face with products from that brand and then review the products and I was interested to see how that concept translates into blog from. So I thought I'd have a go and here's the first brand: Maybelline.


So first things first: foundation. The foundation I picked for this post was the Dream Satin Liquid Foundation in the shade "10 - Ivory" which is a tiny bit too dark for me but other than that teensy issue (which lets face it, I have with at least 90% of base products) then this is quite a nice pick. It's very emollient on the skin which makes me think you might really like this if you have a dryer skin type and I'll definitely have to check back in winter once my face starts to dry up a bit on that front. The coverage is decent for a very natural-finish foundation and the lasting power is good. The thing that really makes this foundation stand out for me is how nicely it breaks down on the skin, it doesn't leave you patchy or orange-y at all.

My second base pick is the Instant Anti-Age Eraser Eye Perfect & Cover Concealer, which I had to majorly hunt down to get my hands on. The shade "light" was particularly tricky to track down but after getting my hands on one, I can see why. Much like the foundation I picked up from them, it's a nice coverage without being heavy and it's hydrating but stills packs a punch where lasting power is concerned. The price points on these products are brilliant too, definitely worth a go I'd say. (Although whats with the sponge-tip-thing? trés germ-tastic if you ask me).

To set everything I dusted on some of the Fit Me Pressed Powder in "115 - light" (are we sensing a theme here?) which is a product I usually keep in my hand bag and while it's great for on-the-go touch-ups, for me, it's not a setting powder. It's a lovely, finely-milled powder that's weightless on the skin but for me, the oil control just isn't there and it doesn't lock my make-up in place the same way as a MAC Mineralise Skin Finish Natural or my Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot, for me those to are the bench mark for setting powders and this just doesn't seem to be one of those products to me.


To chisel in some cheekbones I reached for the Master Sculpt Contouring Palette in "01 - Light Medium" and this has quickly become a staple in my collection. It's the perfect contour for those with a fairer skin as it's light but it's not orangey or muddy. Then to warm up the cheeks I nipped in to the blush side of the Dream Sun Bronzing Powder With Blush and ran some of the bronze-y side down my neck to blend the foundation in with my actual skin tone. Now for me, this was a flat-out bad product. The Master Sculpt and the Fit Me Pressed Powder are finely milled and pigmented powders, so Maybelline can do a good powder formula, but I found the Dream Sun to just be a bit chalky and I felt like I had to do a lot of work to get some colour out of it. I'd give the bronzing blush a miss if I were you.

Then moving on to eyes, I used the Eye Studio Colour Tattoo 24hr Gel-Cream Eyeshadow in "05 - Eternal Gold" as my base, from what I could see Maybelline don't currently offer a standard primer that would be comparable to say the Urban Decay Primer Potion but the Colour Tattoo's are great for holding powder shadows in place. I was going for a gold-y shadow look on the eyes and this made the colours pop a bit more and kept my shadow looking fairly polished all day long.

I topped the Colour Tattoo with some shades from their The Nudes Palette, which I've been reaching for a lot recently. The shadow's are buttery soft and I find the formula completely comparable to more expensive brands, the shimmers are slightly easier to work with than the mattes but you get 12 shades for around £9, which compared to the Urban Decay Naked Palette range, it's a steal.

I tight-lined with a little bit of the Master Drama Khol Liner in "Ultra Black", which I'd completely overlooked for a while because I'd gotten very much caught up in the Rimmel Scandleyes ones but these eye liners are not messing around. Creamy to apply, good lasting power, It's safe to say I won't be picking up another Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in "Perversion" while Maybelline still have this formula on their shelves.

To finish off the eyes I brushed on a few coats of their The Colossal Volume Express Cat Eyes Mascara which was a dud for me. Mine came with a massively faulty wand that was bent in on itself to the extent that I had to re-work the wand to actually use it, and the formula just did nothing for my lashes. I'd love to try a few more from the line as I was under the impression that Maybelline were sort-of known for their mascaras but this just didn't hit the mark for me. I used the Brow Satin Brow Pencil in the shade "Medium Brown" to fill in my brows. I really liked this when I first got it because tit has both the pencil and the powder and I was just getting into pencil brow products at the time, now I'm more into a pencil formula I find I rarely use the powder end and would much prefer a spool-y brush on the other end. That being said, the pencil is nice and the shade selection is quite good, especially for the price point.

And finally, the lip. I'd left it quite neutral on the eyes so I wanted something a bit punchier on the lips so I slapped on their Colour Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in the shade "410 - Fab Orange" which is an orange-y red (think Nars "Red Square" but more satin in finish). While these aren't as long lasting as the Nars pencils, they're obviously much less expensive and more comfortable. Personally, I never find anything that will last a whole day without touching up at all on my lips so I'm happy to opt in for a slightly more comfortable lip product most days and reapply every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment