Wednesday 19 August 2015

Brows on a Budget

This is a post that I've been working on for months. Mainly because brow products are kind of on the same level as mascara in that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to the brow product problem. Everyone seems to like something different and the selection on the high-street is notoriously sparse. So I've tried to pick things that are a little bit different in the hopes that there's a bit of something for everyone. So here we go:

Firstly, if you like a classic, non-waxy pencil, I have 2 picks for you: the Soap & Glory Archery Eyebrow Pencil has reined supreme on this blog for a while now. It's an automatic pencil and the spool-y on the other end is lovely and it really is my personal favourite and I suggest you pick one up if you can find a Boots that has it in stock. However the one annoying thing about the S&G is that it only comes in 2 shades, so if there isn't a shade that suits you in that range I'd recommend the Kiko Precision Eyebrow Pencil. A little bit harder to find but you can pick it up online if you're struggling and they often have offers on their international shipping which is nice. This one isn't automatic and the brush on the end isn't a nice as the S&G, but the texture is lovely, it's a really fine nib and theres a decent shade selection.

If you like a pencil that's a bit waxier, again I have 2 picks. The Bourjois Sourcil PrĂ©cision Eyebrow Pencil is my favourite waxier pencil, it's a manual pencil with a manageable nib but again, the brush is a bit pants. It's automatic partner would be the No7 Beautiful Eyebrow Sculpting Pencil. It has an angled nib which makes for a speedy application and the consistancy helps hold the brows in place so, again, a nice pick for those in a hurry.


For those in need of a brow gel, I like the ModelCo More Brows. It's a tinted gel that adds a nice hint of colour and holds the brows into shape. It also seems to have some of those fine fibres that the Benefit Gimme Brow has so it plumps up a sparse brow a little. Also, it plays nice with other products, I can layer this over a pencil product on days where I need my makeup to last without looking like I've gone overboard.



And the hardest thing to offer a review on when it comes to brows: a brow kit. Personally, I'm not a fan of them. The need for layering product is time consuming for me and I never really feel like I can achieve a natural looking brow from a brow kit. That being said, the L'Oreal Brow Artist Genius Kit is very comparable to the Benefit brow kit and so I think it must be a winner. The way I like to use this is to use an angled brush with the powder to fill in the brow, and then I roll the spool-y in the wax and brush them through to set and it's a look I can work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment