Monday 10 August 2015

Treat Week - High End Makeup Favourites

After finishing a whole week of high-street beauty product posts, I figured the high-end heros needed some love too, so this week is all about those high-end products that are worth the price tag. However since some of these are really pricey products, I've limited myself to 10 so I only mention the ones that I love.


Something that I've posted a review on before that was neither here-nor-there is the By Terry Ombré Blackstars. I have them in "Misty Rock" and "Brown Perfection" and when I first got these I didn't think they were all that, and formula wise, while they're good, they're no better than the Bourjois Colour-Band 2-in-1 Shadow and Liner pencils. The thing that made them qualify for a space in this line up is the shade selection, while "Brown Perfection" is a fairly dupe-able shade, "Misty Rock" is very unique and I think the fact that you can't get the exact colour elsewhere makes it worth the money.

Another product that is definitely more of a luxury than a necessity is the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. I also like the satin finish pencils from Nars but the matte ones are just lovely, not too uncomfortable for a matte and a really long-wearing finish on the lips and again, the shade selection is lovely. They're a bit different from the matte pencils available on the high-street as they aren't a twist up which I like, since you can keep the nib nice and pointy which makes for easier application.

I have two high-end mascaras that I love but my favourite of the two is Urban Decays Perversion Mascara, especially with a black liner look because this mascara is the blackest of black and helps my lashes not to get lost in the liner. It adds a lot of volume and just enough length and is even better when you use it over their Subversion Lash Primer.

Another Urban Decay product that I've fallen in love with recently is their Naked Skin Concealer, there is another concealer in this line up that I love but the Urban Decay one is a perfect skin-tone match for me. This is the only concealer I've found that I can wear without applying foundation because it's just that good a match which is rare for me because I'm deathly pale and lots of brands don't stock shades that are quite light enough for me (I find myself having to use the blend-it-down-your-neck-so-it-doesn't-look-so-bad technique on the daily).

I've never been much of a lipgloss girl but I have a couple of high-end ones that I love: The Lipstick Queen Big Bang Illusion Gloss. It feels so nice on the lips because it's such a thin balm-y texture that adds the right amount of glitter, shine and colour on the lips. The shade "Cosmo" is a perfect your-lips-but-better shade for me and I reach for it constantly. It's become one of those lip products that just lives in my handbag.

The second concealer that I love is the Nars Creamy Radiant Concealer. This was my oringinal high-end concealer love. If the shade selection had been better when I first bought it I doubt I'd have ever strayed to the aforementioned Urban Decay option. I think since I purchased they've released a shade light than "Vanilla" that is the one I picked up so I might have to check it out again. It's just a great concealer that's dry enough to use on blemishes but creamy enough to use under the eyes too.

The first high-end make-up product to become a staple in my collection was the Urban Decay Primer Potion, and even though since I found that one I've tried a couple of others, this is still the one I go back to every time. The packaging is none-offensive and easy to use and the formula is great, it makes any eyeshadow formula last longer on the lids and it doesn't separate out in the tube, even when you haven't used it for a while which I love.

A high-end product that I have moments with is the Benefit High Beam highlighting liquid. I just think it's brilliant and if I was always in a highlighting mood I can imagine this would find a permanent home in my daily makeup bag. I generally gravitate to highlights in the summer and winter but not really in spring or autumn so this product switches from my makeup bag to my stash and vice-verse quite a lot, but it's always a product I come back to.

A long-time make-up love for me has been Urban Decays 24/7 Eyeliner Pencils. When I first fell in love with these "Zero" was their black shade and I still love that one but since they've released "Perversion" I've struggled to find a comparable product for cheaper. They also do an amazing range of colours which makes them hard to dupe. While the Rimmel Scandleyes Eyeliner Pencils have a similar formula, the Urban Decay colours are just unrivalled for me.

And finally, a product that, again, I always go back to: Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation. This is my go to foundation for a night out or a day where i'm going to be out for a long time and I really want to look flawless all day. It covers like nothing else but in a natural way and has excellent oil-control for such a comfortable foundation. Also, the shade selection is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment