Monday 9 March 2015

The Back-To-Basics Morning Skincare Routine

So last week I woke up with every skincare lovers worst nightmare: a massive, painful, under-the-skin spot on my forehead. It was obvious to see and painful to touch, and the sight of it drove me to look around my stash accusingly. In reaction to this, I've dropped my skincare routine down to the bare bones, the products that I love and that just work for me. For mornings, it's looking a lot like this:


When I went traveling for a month last year I took 1 cleanser with me and didn't suffer a single breakout on the whole trip. So while my skin is misbehaving I cracked out that old gem: the Clean and Clear Deep Action Oil-Free Cream Wash. It's a creamy cleanser that has a slightly minty tingle to it. You can either splash it off with water or remove with a warm, damp flannel (my preferred method, unless I'm cleansing somewhere other than my own home).

Normally step two is an acid toner for mild exfoliation, however I think this set of break-outs may have been a result of over exfoliating (using flannels to remove a glycolic-based cleanser and then going in with an exfoliating mask? Oops). So I'm skipping acids and exfoliators for a few days while my skin calms down.

Now I need to apologise to a product here, because when I first tried the Caudalie Beauty Elixir, I really didn't get the hype. It was minty and fresh and unlike other hydrating mists I'd used that were more floral or spa-like in scent. Now I've gotten to know it a little better I think it's great, but I would only use it for an AM spritz. The minty scent is lovely for waking your skin up in the morning and the bottle produces a nice fine mist that allows for an even layer of moisture.

I then go in with a cooling eye-cream, I'm currently using the Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Eye Gel. It's an okay, basic morning eye cream but I wouldn't quite call it holy grail, I'm definitely in the market for a better one. But my skin doesn't react to this so it can stay for now. I just find that my eyes are a bit puffy in the morning unless I use something soothing or cooling around the area.

And finally, I top it off with a light moisturiser, and the one I can trust is the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser. I'm still working my way through the mini I got from Space NK in my "The Mother of all Goodie Bags" post, but I'm itching to get a full-size as I can't imagine a week without it. Not overly fragrant or greasy on the skin, but adds in all the moisture my Oily/Dehydrated skin needs.

I have an evening companion post to this going up on Wednesday - check back for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment