Monday 13 April 2015

SFP For Dummies

As a fully-fledged member of the paley-and-proud club, it might be unsurprising to hear that I am an absolute SFP fanatic. My sun-worshipping mother seems to question where she went wrong with me every summer when she finds me in the garden, reading a book, under a towel... Sorry mum! But the good thing about being an SPF freak? Getting to know what formula's you really get on with, and since the weather in the UK is looking pretty nice lately, I figured I'd dedicate a post to my not-so-secret obsession. Here's 3 of my must-have SPF formulations.



The first SPF I apply on a summers morning is my facial SPF. My current favourite facial SPF is the Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA+++ UVA (long name there) which, despite the name, does provide the user with UVA and UVB broad-spectrum protection against the suns rays. It's a super light formula that you can use alone or on top of a regular moisturiser and it doesn't have any weird smells/colours to it. Being the super pale girl I am (seriously, the back of my hand is essentially the same colour as the white tube the product comes in) I can't really comment on whether any of these products leave a white cast as a white cast never shows up on my skin, but with the light feeling of this product, I can't imagine it would. If the Kiehl's is out of your budget, try the Piz Buin Allergy Face Cream, it's SPF 50+ (so, again, very high protection) and while it's a little heavier and greasier on the skin than the Kiehl's, it's at least half the price and still sits well under makeup.

For my body I like to double up on the SPF. When I'm getting ready to leave the house, I'll apply a generous amount of Riemann P20 Once A Day Sun Protection to all of the parts of my body that may be exposed to the sun during the day. It's a watery oil-y texture that can feel a little film-y on the skin when first applied and does take a good few minutes to sink in (so i'd apply this, do my skincare while it dries and then get dressed) and it's waterproof, sweatproof etc and will stay on all day. You can get it in a whole load of factors so I usually get a low-medium 20 and then a high-very high 50 to cover my bases and switch out depending on the levels of sun exposure. I like this because it's waterproof, so on holidays if I'm in the pool or whatever I still have some protection at all times. Although I'd never rely on a "Once a day" formula completely.

The thing with SPF is that it multiples the time that you can spend in the sun without getting burnt naturally by the factor you're using. This means that if you get burnt in 10 minutes, an SPF of 20 would mean it would take 200 minutes, so 3 hours and 20 minutes of sun-time. This in mind I like to take something to reapply throughout the day with me so I don't end up looking like a beetroot. For my on-the-go SPF I love dry oils like the Calypso Dry Oil Clear Protection, they're easy to apply and because they're a clear oil, they never leave a white cast on the skin, meaning you can layer them up without worrying. The Calypso one smells lovely too (like coconuts and holidays) and it's super cheap in most places too.

No comments:

Post a Comment