Monday 15 June 2015

The Backpacker’s Packing List for Women Who Struggle To Pack Light

WARNING: Very word-y post ahead. Tread carefully.

I've made it no secret on this blog that last year after graduating uni I went traveling around Europe for a month. It was a great trip where I saw lots of amazing things and while there's definitely somethings I'd do differently (up my budget and maybe see less places but stay for longer) my packing list wasn't one of them. Shock Horror. I'm normally that girl. That girl who's going away for a week and came 3g's under the 15kg baggage allowance. That girl whose cosmetics bag takes up half of the physical space in her suitcase. That girl who packs 2 outfits for each day and often doesn't wear half the things she packs. But not this trip.


From the second my friends and I starting planning and booking things for the trip, I was looking up how to pack efficiently and it definitely paid off. My pack was one of the lighter ones, despite having packed all the full sized shower products that my fellow female traveling partners and I planned to share and there wasn't a single thing I needed that I didn't have, or that I had that I didn't use. My packing list looked like this:

SKINCARE/BODY/HAIR
  1. Shampoo 
  2. Conditioner 
  3. Curl Gel 
  4. Shower Gel 
  5. Suncream
  6. Bio Oil
  7. Cleanser 
  8. Moisturiser 
  9. Eye Cream
  10. Face SPF 

MAKEUP:
  1. High Coverage Foundation
  2. Concealer
  3. Powder
  4. Eye Primer
  5. Multi Purpose Eyeshadow/Cheek Products Palette
  6. Mascara
  7. Red Lip
  8. Nude Lip
  9. Pink Lip
  10. Black Eyeliner
  11. Nude Eyeliner
  12. Blue Eyeliner
  13. Taupe Eyeliner
  14. Angled Blush Brush
  15. Double Ended Eyeshadow Brush
  16. Small Eyeliner Brush
  17. Angled Eyebrow Brush
  18. Eyebrow Spoolie
CLOTHES
  1. Jeans
  2. Shorts
  3. Short Skirt
  4. Maxi Skirt
  5. Vest
  6. Vest
  7. Tshirt
  8. Tshirt
  9. Kimono/Coverup
  10. Hoodie
  11. Short Sundress
  12. Maxi Dress
  13. Strapless Top
  14. Oversized T-Shirt
  15. Joggers
ACCESSORIES
  1. One Belt
  2. Sunglasses
  3. One Bikini
  4. Six Underwear
  5. Four Socks
  6. Two Tights
  7. Three Bras
  8. One Evening Bag
  9. One Day Bag
  10. One Bum-bag (Would definitely recommend if you're visiting lots of busy cities!)
  11. Flip Flops
  12. Converse
  13. One Necklace
  14. One Pair Earrings
  15. PJ Shorts
MISC:
  1. Microfiber Towel
  2. Glasses
  3. Sarong
  4. First Aid Kit
  5. Hand Sanitiser
  6. Sewing Kit
  7. Travel Adapter
  8. Travel Detergent
And it worked. The clothes worked perfectly to create a light but versatile wardrobe and contained enough pieces to ensure that I wasn't constantly doing washing but few enough that it wasn't too heavy on my then very weak shoulders. I found that I had things to wear for all occasions and all weathers and my accessories mixed things up nicely without being so much that I'd lose things.

Bear in mind that we were staying mostly in hostels and often in big dorm-style rooms with people we didn't know so I left all my fine jewellery at home (real gold, pieces of sentimental value) just in case. I found it hard to leave for the airport with just 2 pairs of shoes for the month, but I had everything I needed. The flip flops I packed were quite a nice pair that had beading on them and they worked for day and evening alike and they were a great addition to my pack. I took a pair of converse for a comfortable walking shoe but found that I only wore them when it was quite cold, most days/nights I wore my flip flops.

From a beauty point of view, I took a lot of eyeliners and 3 lip colours as this was the most compact way to give me the variety I liked to have in my make-up and it catered to my every need. I then just packed one lot of base products, knowing that the full coverage foundation could be sheered with a blob of moisturiser or missed entirely depending on my coverage needs. The palette I took was The Balm's Balm Jovi Palette, it was nice and compact and had 12 eyeshadows, a blush, highlight and 2 creamy lip/cheek products (that I don't really like for lips). For skincare, I kept it super simple, cleanser, eye cream, moisturiser, SPF and then if I was feeling burnt or especially dry, I just added a few drops of Bio Oil into my moisturiser. Bio Oil was a great addition to my pack as it's a multipurpose oil, you can use it on your face, body and hair and it's great for dryness and sunburn a like.

Travel Detergent is a must for anyone going traveling on a tight budget. I got a 75ml bottle (more than enough for a month) for around £3 inc. shipping and it saved me so much money on my trip. Quite a lot of the laundrettes charged by item (as much as €3 each) and while hand washing things and having to hang them all over the place for a day to dry wasn't the most ideal, with a €40 a day budget (out of which I was paying for my room for the night, food and attractions) I was realistic and knew that there wasn't space in that budget to be paying to wash my clothes. I will mention that I packed light on underwear, and so hand-washing was really convenient for that, everything was a light material and I'd wash them before I started to get ready in the evening and they'd be dry by morning at the latest.

Another budget-saving item I took was a sewing kit. Just a single needle and 2 reels of cotton so it was super easy to put together. I knew that if I ripped anything, I didn't have the budget to go replacing things so this was great. As it happens, I didn't actually break anything whilst I was away but one of my friends did and so this did actually come in handy. Even if you're taking lots of clothes and a brand new backpack I'd suggest a needle and thread. If worse comes to worse you rip your backpack on day 3 of 40 it'll save you forking out a small fortune in a country you don't know for a new one.

Everyone I traveled with had bought a micro-fiber towel and we all agreed they were great for this kind of trip. They're light, compact and they dry really quickly so they were useful for lots of things. Obviously drying after showering and washing your face, but I took mine to the beach to dry myself off after being in the sea too. Another multi-use item that maybe isn't so obvious is a sarong. I took this everywhere in my day bag throughout the trip and it came in so useful. You can use it as a cover for your shoulders if the sun gets a bit strong, a blanket for if it cools down later, a pillow on the trains traveling from place to place, a picnic blanket, something to lie on at the beach, the possibilities are endless.

And finally, what to pack it all in. I chose backpack. I think it's a more versatile option and while you have to carry the weight with you between destinations, it makes you pack light and if you end up somewhere with lots of stairs, you don't want to be trying to lug a heavy case up them. It also means you'll not pack too many things that are overly valuable (heavy cameras, hair styling tools ect) that may end up lost or stolen. And finally, it's much easier to navigate the train stations with a backpack. The only people we saw struggling to get to the platforms in time for the trains were the ones with wheeled luggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment